Protect Beautiful Fall Migrating Birds
5,887 signatures toward our 30,000 Goal
Sponsor: The Animal Rescue Site
Take action to support and protect the magnificent birds of the fall migration and their ecosystems.
As autumn sweeps across the United States, a breathtaking spectacle unfolds in the skies above us - the fall bird migration. Millions of birds embark on a journey of epic proportions, leaving their breeding grounds to seek refuge in their wintering homes. It's a mesmerizing display of nature's grandeur, a testament to resilience, and a call to action.
Each year, as temperatures drop and daylight hours dwindle, birds sense the urgency to move, guided by ancient instincts and natural cues1. They undertake incredible voyages across vast landscapes, soaring over mountains, crossing oceans, and navigating through cities2. This journey is a lifeline, a passage from scarcity to abundance, as birds seek shelter and sustenance for the colder months.
Yet, even as we marvel at this awe-inspiring phenomenon, we must acknowledge the challenges that migrating birds face. Habitat loss, climate change, light pollution, collision hazards, and pesticide exposure are just a few of the threats that loom large3.
Here's where you come in.
We invite you to take a stand, to become a guardian of the skies, and to pledge your commitment to the conservation of these remarkable creatures. By signing our pledge, you're promising to observe the fall bird migration with utmost respect and care. Your actions will help ensure that these magnificent birds and the ecosystems they rely on thrive for generations to come.
Don't let this incredible phenomenon pass you by without making a difference. Sign our pledge today and stand with us in preserving the magic of fall bird migration for generations to come.
- All About Birds (1 August 2021), "The Basics Of Bird Migration: How, Why, And Where."
- Kenn and Kimberly Kaufman, Birds & Blooms (20 April 2022), "Where Do Migrating Birds Spend the Winter?."
- Christian J. Rivera, Center for Policy Research on Energy and the Environment, Princeton University (9 January 2023), "New Map of “Stopover Hotspots” Provides Insights for Conservation of Eastern U.S. Migratory Landbirds."
I pledge to respectfully and carefully observe the fall bird migration, preserving these magnificent creatures for future generations. I understand the threats they face, and I'm committed to taking actions that will make a difference.
Fall migrating birds face threats from habitat loss, climate change, light pollution, collision hazards and pesticides. I pledge to take the following actions to help mitigate those risks:
- Learn About Migration: I will educate myself about the birds and their migration routes.
- Respect Distance: I will keep a safe distance when observing to avoid distressing the birds.
- Minimize Light Pollution: I will use soft lighting at night to reduce disorientation.
- Support Conservation: I will contribute to organizations working to protect birds, like GreaterGood's effort to supply safe shelters for our winged companions.
- Plant Bird-Friendly Greenery: I will add native plants to my landscape for food and shelter.
- Prevent Collisions: I will use window decals to reduce bird collisions.
- Participate in Citizen Science: I will share my bird observations with programs that support critical research.
- Advocate for Protected Areas: I will support legislation to preserve critical habitats.
- Share Knowledge: I will educate others about responsible birdwatching.
- Reduce Plastic Use: I will minimize plastic waste to protect the ecosystems of migratory birds.
By taking these actions, I ensure a brighter future for fall migrating birds and more resilient ecosystems for all. Together, we can make a positive impact on their journey and safeguard their existence for generations to come.